Saturday, December 17, 2011

unassisted birth

Today I was reading a blog entry about unassisted birth.
The blog writer expressed that she didn't feel like she had a bond with her son because, even though it was a natural birth, she had the help of a midwife.... and this is the response I shared on her blog entry:
- I think I understand what you're expressing in this entry. And because everyone is entitled to their own way of thinking I'd like to share with you that I disagree with "I really don't think most moms own their babies". The fact that someone (whether it's a midwife, doctor, husband, etc.) holds your baby as he exits your body and then hands him over to you has nothing to do with ownership. In the same way that having someone else helping you with the birthing process does not mean you're less involved,or less in control.
God did not put us here on earth for us to do everything alone. And in fact being able to do things alone does not mean one is stronger. We are all brothers and sisters, who should work as a team. I believe that it is as much a blessing to give birth to a baby as it is to allow someone else to be involved with the birth of 'your' baby.
I've read a few things about home births, natural births and the like. And I like the idea! I will continue reading about it and contemplating it for myself with this pregnancy (even though my dear husband really dislikes the idea of not having the baby at a hospital). However, I will never think any less of myself, of my bond with my baby, or of my role as this baby's Mama if I decide to have the baby in a hospital, or to have an epidural, or to have the help of others during the birth. I believe that we all have different gifts and doctors and midwives and doulas have a gift when it comes to knowledge and what to do during the birth of a baby. There is nothing wrong about allowing these people to help you (and serve you) with the gifts that they have been given.
I compare it to my gift. I love, love, love reading and learning about health and fitness and proper nutrition. And I'm now working in the fitness industry. There is nothing wrong in another person allowing me to help them in their workout routine (it's my job). When others allow me to help them with their exercise it doesn't mean that they don't own their own health or body, or that they are less in control. They are just allowing someone else (who has a gift in that particular area) to help them.
It seems like so many mothers who do unassisted birth feel like they are better mothers just for that reason. When unassisted birth doesn't necessarily correlate with giving more affection, love, time, patience, etc to a baby.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your opinion! You wrote it so well. It sums up perfectly how I feel about childbirth.

    ReplyDelete