Sunday, March 4, 2012

Once upon a time I wanted to save the world...

I remember being very young and wanting to bring every single abandoned animal (that I would see on the streets) home. And I had the same desire to save every person that I thought was in pain - physical, emotional, or spiritual. I would make plans in my head about how I would get the money to feed them and to take care of them, the type of house I would live in with the necessary space for everyone and everything.
My parents taught me how to pray very early and I still remember my dad taking me to bed and saying prayers with me. He would listen and wait patiently for me to finish praying for all the children in Ethiopia, Somalia (etc), for the children in orphanages, for the mothers who didn't have enough food or toys to give to their children, for all the dogs that were cold at night and didn't have an owner to pet them... the list goes on and on.
I've just always had a sincere desire to help - However, I found out (also early on) that I couldn't be there for everyone every time. I do not have the physical strength or power to be what everyone that is suffering in the world needs me to be. And that is why I find so much comfort in a quote by Pres. Benson (a Prophet of the LDS church).

“The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ would take the slums out of people, and then they would take themselves out of the slums.
The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature.”
Ezra Taft Benson

 The World already has a Savior - His name is Jesus Christ. I will keep trying to help anyone and everyone I can. But I do not need to save the World. Someone already did that. He is my Savior, He is your Savior. He knows you, your good and your bad, and He loves you and me.

When I was about 12 years old I read the following verses in Mosiah 18:8-9

 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are adesirous to come into the bfold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
 Yea, and are awilling to mourn with those that bmourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as cwitnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the dfirst resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—

I took this to heart.
I am 'perfectly imperfect' at my attempts; but I'm here for my brothers and sisters.

3 comments:

  1. you are amazing! i'm so glad you shared this. it is nice to remember that we don't have to do everything (like i thought too when i was little) but we have to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sofia, this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I need to show you my "secret" journal I found in my old stuff from when I was a kid. It started out as little drawings of flowers and dogs...then you flip a few pages in and it says, "This is where Veronica's REAL journal to rescue animals begins."I have blue prints of how many acres I'll need, what groups of animals will most likely not eat each other, etc. I get a laugh out of it to this day. We are awesome!

    ReplyDelete