Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Dis-ease, ER, Chiropractor & Essential Oils

At the end of January, on a Friday evening I started feeling sick. And my intuition told me this wasn't just a little something but that my body was indeed experiencing something serious. Based on that feeling I decided to ask for a blessing and assumed that the next morning (after a restful night of sleep) my body would be feeling a lot better. This was not the case.
Sat. morning I woke up (from barely sleeping the previous night) and had a terrible headache and I could barely move my neck. Jay helped me cancel my Zumba class and he took care of our children so that I could just stay in bed and allow rest to help heal my body. I felt positive that one day of 'doing nothing' would help me get back on my feet - literally!
Again to my surprise, on Sunday morning I still had a type of headache that made me think that my brain was going to implode, it hurt to move, to get out of bed, and even to look in certain directions. We decided I should keep resting and 'doing nothing', I felt, again, that this would give my body the opportunity to recover from whatever bug, virus or bacteria was affecting my well being.
Sunday afternoon we had a chance to talk to my brother (who is a chiropractor in England) and he guided Jay in putting pressure and squeezing some parts of my neck and head. I believe as a result of this, on Monday I was feeling a lot better - still didn't overdo (didn't teach my Zumba classes, etc). However; that night I went back to feeling horrible. My head hurt like it had never hurt before, my whole body felt uncomfortable, and now my hears and throat were hurting a lot as well. I got barely any sleep and when I did manage to fall asleep I woke up to the noise of someone playing outside with a basketball. When I looked at our alarm clock I noticed that it was only 4am and thought to myself: "Who on earth is outside at this hour playing basketball??????". After listening a little closer I was chocked to realize that the sound that was 'banging' in my head was not that of a ball but the beating of my heart!
Tuesday morning when Jay and the children woke up I was feeling so so miserable that I asked Jay to take me to the ER. We were starting to feel scared with what was going on and with how poorly I was feeling. The type of headaches I was having were particularly scary. With the type of person I am, I was already starting to think about scenarios of brain tumors, or cancer....
We went to the Gilbert ER and felt blessed that everyone was nice and thoughtful towards me. The doctor didn't want to scare us (but we could see the worry all over his face), they thought I had meningitis. After several exams - including a spinal tap (not something fun to go through), they ruled out meningitis and a few other things but still had no answers.
While at the ER I got well acquainted with morphine : )  Do you know that song: "Diamonds are a girls' best friend"? Well... I think it should be - Morphine is a girls' best friend!!!!
We came home, I stayed in bed for the next 2 days (by then I had been in bed for a total of 6 days) and there was still NO IMPROVEMENT!
We were blessed with the help of Human Angels (friends, brothers and sisters from our Church, positive energy and concern from people that usually take my fitness classes, etc). And I am so thankful for these Human Angels. I believe this is exactly how our Father in Heaven wants His children to act. We are all brothers and sisters and we need to watch out for and take care of each other here on Earth. There are times when we are the givers - we offer help, prayers, concern, support, encouragement... - and then, there are other times when we are on the receiving end of it!
Because I was still not feeling better, we felt inspired to go see a chiropractor. Someone we knew previously and who had caused a good impression on us (Will Jarman). He too was a Human Angel who blessed us with his knowledge. I got an adjustment, started feeling better and went back to his office for another two visits. During these visits he talked to me about using Essential Oils (I'll explain more about what these are in my next blog entry).
When we got home I started putting Eucalyptus essential oil on my forehead, my neck, by my ears and lymph nodes and we immediately started seeing results. My headaches went away, so did the stiffness on my  neck, and earaches.
Being ill always makes me feel so grateful for when I feel healthy.
I am thankful for my body, and for my Spirit. I am also thankful that Father has given us ways to heal, to grow faith and trust, and to serve and be served.

6 comments:

  1. This is a great post. I'm so grateful you are doing well again. There are so many people in a mother's life that depend on her. I will have to look into these essential oils! Eucalyptus may be the BEST smell on earth. It reminds me of home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm learning about essential oils too. I want to help my family be healthier and more natural. Thanks for sharing what you learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Life can run so much smoother when everyone is healthy and feeling well. I have a pg on FB with the same tittle of this blog where people can share healthy recipes and tips and I give a new "health challenge" to everyone each week :) you should check it out Sandrinha
      http://www.facebook.com/HealthyPhysicalSpiritualLiving
      bjinhos e tudo de bom

      Delete
  3. Oh Sofia I am so glad you are feeling better!!
    How scary!
    I too love essential oils! So much!
    They have been lifesavers! Literally! My kids love them too. They know Mommy will come oil them every morning and night.
    Oh Sofia! I wish we were neighbors or live close by. We continue to have much in common :) Miss you still. College days were fun knowing you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to share what favorite oils we use and tips for using them. I love their versatility and safety and purity and smell (and the ones that don't smell that good, are still very healing).
      A couple of years ago Aaron got allergies pretty bad... nothing helped until we put 2 drops lavender, 2 drops lemon and 2 drops peppermint in 1 oz water. Just drink it fast, it's STRONG, but oh wow! instant relief.

      Delete
    2. I know, one of my ideas of paradise is a place where you live with all of your wonderful friends and family close by. All the good things that you like in life are around you :)
      We'll definately have to share more with each other about oils (I'm only a beginner, so I'm sure I can learn a lot from you) - I'll have to message you on FB or something...

      Delete