Sunday, May 5, 2013

I have no willpower...

So, I have no willpower. I start things (I'm talking about goals here), then find really good, solid excuses to make an exception, or brake that one rule I said I wouldn't brake. And then... well, then it all goes down hill...
I remembered reading something one (a long time ago) about why doing something 100% was better and ACTUALLY EASIER than doing it 89% or 95%. At that time I read that I remember that I actually ate all raw food (fruits, vegetables, nuts) for 8 consecutive days AND it wasn't hard. I decided to do it 100% and it somehow it wasn't hard. If something wasn't a fruit, vegetable or nut adulterated/changed by heat/cooking it then I wouldn't eat it.
Now, every time that I try to eat mostly raw, or raw until dinner I always end up messing it up big time (or so I feel). I eat very healthy breakfasts, lunches, and snacks, and then, when dinner time comes and I can eat cooked food I eat a whole whale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I eat everything I can get my hands on that is not healthy!?!?!?!?!?!??! Why do I do that??????
Now - my problem is not eating cooked food. Cooked food isn't bad...My problem is that I end up reversing all the good eating that I had done up to dinner time.
So I did a little research and loved reading the quote and article below:






"it’s easier to hold to your principles 100% of the time than it is to hold to them 98% of the time. If you give in to “just this once,” based on a marginal cost analysis, as some of my former classmates have done, you’ll regret where you end up. You’ve got to define for yourself what you stand for and draw the line in a safe place."

Clayton Christensen

100% is easier than 99%: Why Moderation Doesn’t Work

by Aaron
Forget moderation.
I tried it for many years. It’s never worked for me. It’s just too hard.

Photo by Marcel Germain
Looking back at the times I have done something that has boosted me forward in life, there was nothing moderate about it. I stopped going out completely for two months before my LSAT. Gave up sugar, alcohol, and fast food for a month. Swore off of news, politics, and following the stock market. Ran twelve miles over terrain and obstacles in near freezing temperatures. Jumped off a bridge.
Whenever I jumped into something 100%, friends would tell me that they could never do something like that. They’d tell me that I must have incredible willpower to have pulled something like that off.
I usually nod and accept the compliment.
But today I’m admitting my dirty secret: I have no willpower.
A stronger person could balance studying with an active social life to get ready for an exam. Not me.
Someone with willpower would never have to give up sugar, alcohol and fast food for a month. They just eat healthy all the time.
A strong-willed person doesn’t have to continually schedule Tough Mudders and other races to force himself to stay in shape. People with willpower just do it. I have to do something crazy.
True, moderation is a nice goal. If you can do it.
For me, if I have sugar or fast food once, I crave more sugar and fast food the next day. It’s just easier for me to stay away for long periods.
If I stop working out for a week, it’s near impossible to get back in the gym. As soon as I break the cycle, it’s like starting all over.
This is why people in Alcoholics Anonymous vow to have no drinks. Not because moderation isn’t a worthy goal. It’s because moderation is almost impossible for those who don’t have ridiculous willpower. If you had ridiculous willpower, you wouldn’t need the plan to quit drinking in the first place.
Weight Watchers works the same way. You get a certain number of “points” that you can have. Yes, there is flexibility in how you space out the use of those points, but you stick to a dummy-proof plan, 100% of the time.
What the folks at Alcoholic Anonymous and Weight Watchers have figured out is that 100% is easier than 99%.
When you take a day off, it’s a huge challenge to get started the next day.

Creating a habit is like pushing a car; it’s getting started that’s hard. Once you’ve got momentum, it’s easier. But as soon as you take a break, the car stops, and you need a big boost of motivation to get it moving again.
Here’s the thing: motivation doesn’t come in a long steady stream. It comes in waves.
If you stop pushing the car when your motivation is low, it stops for good. You end the diet. You quit working out. You never finish writing the book.
For those of us without willpower, we have to use the power of a wave of motivation to get us started and then ride that momentum through the low times. The way to do this is to commit to doing something 100% of the time.
100% means there’s no guesswork.
We don’t have to guess when it’s OK to eat cheesecake, or have a few drinks, or skip a workout. There’s no getting back to it tomorrow. There’s no debate about letting things slide “just this once.” We choose 100%, not 99%.
I’m not suggesting you permanently give up sugar or go running every day for the rest of your life. You can commit to doing something for a month. But when you choose to do something, commit to doing it 100%.
People will think you’re crazy for going all out and doing something 100%. Because most people don’t do anything 100%, and it makes them feel like a slacker.
Friends will even try to dissuade you from going 100%. “Do everything in moderation,” they’ll say. My answer from now on: “Moderation is nice for those with the willpower to do it.”
Is there an area where you want to make progress but just can’t get it to stick? Try giving it 100% for 30 days. Give up sugar. Stop checking the news. Write every day. Get off Facebook. Exercise every morning. Go without alcohol. Wake up early every day.
Forget moderation. Give 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment